Re: Proposed: gnome-volume-manager

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 11:09, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> (This is a thread-starter for the final module discussion before the release
> team reports back with a summary and proposal, which will aim to represent
> the consensus of the community. Please be kind to authors, and start totally
> new threads if there's a reason to shift off-topic.)

>   GNOME Volume Manager is a simple state machine that acts as a policy
>   engine on top of HAL. It includes a control panel applet. Said policy
>   includes auto-mounting of any hot-plugged removable device, auto- mounting
>   of media such as CD's and DVD's, auto play of {Blank,Data, Audio,Video}
>   CD's, and auto importing of photos from camera.

Both cool _and_ froody.

but...

* Doesn't work with linux 2.4.x, which is probably fair enough, but
would we like a better failure mode? At the moment you end up with
things like a capplet with all sorts of options that look useful but
don't do anything.

* Requires user to enter command lines to run programs.
[ This can be fixed in the long term with an fd.o "Application
capabilities" spec, but not for GNOME 2.8]

--
Andrew