Re: Proposed: vino

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 13:28, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 11:11, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > (This is a thread-starter for the final module discussion before the release
> > team reports back with a summary and proposal, which will aim to represent
> > the consensus of the community. Please be kind to authors, and start totally
> > new threads if there's a reason to shift off-topic.)

> >   Vino is a VNC server for GNOME - it allows someone to remotely connect
> >   to your desktop session using the RFB protocol.
> >

> * Would be really, really nice IMHO if we could push this in with a VNC
> viewer (or launcher for vncviewer) included.

	A gtk+ dialog to launch vncviewer wouldn't be a big deal. Might get a
chance to do that, but we're in feature freeze ...

> * Control panel looks nice, I think it's functionality we should have if
> we can get a VNC viewer too as mentioned above, but unfortunately it
> segfaults for me when I try to connect to it. Hrrrrrrrum.
>
> [Connection failed: No security type suitable for RFB 3.3 supported]
> [Segmention fault]
>
> This leads on to...
>
> * Stability

	This is the server or the client ? If its the server, where's the bug
report ? :-)

	(If this is an error message from the client, set
/desktop/gnome/remote_access/require_encryption to false - that's a
hangover from previous releases.)

> (and it's a server, so also security) concerns.

	"Its a server so there might be security concerns" is not a good way to
start a discussion about security. I'm aware that its a server, that it
has to handle potentially malicious data etc. and paid close attention
to that when coding. No doubt there may have been mistakes but...

Cheers,
Mark.