Re: Proposed: gnome-system-tools

On Tue, 2004-20-07 at 18:20 -0700, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> >While g-s-t might be good technology,
> >its not clear that it offers a better user experience than what the
> >distros offer.
>
> Please note that not everyone uses Red Hat. I use Slackware or Debian most
> of the time and I welcome g-s-t because the default ISOs have no such gui
> tools. Other distros don't either (e.g. gentoo and many others).

[snip]

> Regards,
> Eugenia

I hope to see as many people as possible standardize on GUI tools some
time in the future (an OSS configuration stack). g-s-t is simply not a
candidate for wide adoption as it currently is because its not the best
solution in terms of real user experience.

If g-s-t is part of the vision that Havoc, Seth, Jody, etc. have for a
much improved control-panel/system-config*/whatever, only then am I for
its inclusion since it has a chance of becoming somewhat standard, and
an actual improvement in ease-of-use.

Whether slack or gentoo refuse to ship one of the available options for
their own inscrutable reasons is simply orthogonal to the discussion
IMO.

Cheers,
Ryan