Re: [fdo] Re: On translation regressions due to freedesktop.org dependencies

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 06:13:44PM +1200, Glynn Foster wrote:
> > If the various projects are fine with this, we could have a very small
> > translators project. Every translator could be a member of this project,
> > so we could have a script to do the necessary sync. We could also hold a
> > list of participating projects in ~i18n, or whatever.
> >
> > However, this still doesn't change the base issue: with xorg (or
> > whatever), I'm personally quite uncomfortable every time we grow the
> > committers list[0], so I really don't think this is the best situation,
> > to be honest.
> >
> > Again, it's not that I distrust translators specifically, it's just that
> > I'm a cynical bastard when it comes to dumping code in something as
> > unimportant as, say, X.
>
> What's wrong with having a single CVS and building up a web of trust
> between developers like any other good free software project? This is
> where a model like GNOME [and KDE] wins hands down over anything like
> sourceforge or java.net - lots of people work on the same code base
> [everyone from translators to usability, documentation and
> accessibility] and this a huge bonus to creating a relatively cohesive
> and tight knit community. Less control, sure, but the potential for
> something a lot better.

It's something to think about, but that's a very long-term solution, and
we have an immediate problem. But yeah, I think an RFC needs to be
thrown out there as to the future of fd.o as a cohesive community,
rather than a hosting provider that happens to own a couple of projects.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel freedesktop org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org