Re: Lock'n'load! [Was: Integrating system tools in GNOME]

On vie, 2004-06-04 at 11:32 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> When you say 'stetical', do you mean 'aesthetic'? Because that's not really
> the reason why g-s-t hasn't been shipped to date. Recent releases are VERY
> sexy -- GNOME-style!
>
> The issues so far have been:
>
>   * Lack of distro buy-in - why commit to something in the Desktop release
>     that few of our downstreams will ship? I don't think this argument is
>     going to be taken seriously during the 2.8 process.

>   * Lack of integration design - we can't just dump a bunch of icons in the
>     System Tools menu, we have to figure out how to approach user and system
>     preferences properly in future (so vendors can use the same scheme with
>     their own tools if they have to as well).
>
> I think the second point is easily solved for 2.8, we just need to put our
> heads together and figure it out. The first one is tougher, but with the
> community distros shipping it, and knowing that g-s-t will be *the* desktop
> integrated solution, I reckon we should start APPLYING PRESSURE.

I think that gnome-control-center with --use-shell option shipped by
Ximian is a better way to integrate GSTools with the desktop instead of
simply put it in the Apps Menu. That could leave us more freedom to
organize the tools well.

I also think that tools should be integrated all over the desktop, when
users find things in the desktop that has something related to any tool
provided by GSTools it should be accesible by right-click or similar
ways, a good example of this is what the clock applet already does.

> LOCK'N'LOAD, it's SYSTEM TOOLS TIME!

Yiiihaaaa!!!!

> - Jeff

Alberto Ruiz.