Re: Lock'n'load! [Was: Integrating system tools in GNOME]

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 03:34:00AM +0100, Alberto Ruiz wrote:

> I think that gnome-control-center with --use-shell option shipped by
> Ximian is a better way to integrate GSTools with the desktop instead of
> simply put it in the Apps Menu. That could leave us more freedom to
> organize the tools well.

1) An improved variant of the ximian shell is in cvs, but requires
   you to apply a patch to enable it.
	gnome-control-center/control-center/ximian-shell.patch

   If there is some consensus that we should use it we can enable
   it by default.

2) The ximian shell is not a panacea.  It's layout engine is
   reasonably smart but it is not going to be useful if the number
   of capplets expands much beyond the current set.  We will need at
   least two distinct collections
    - user preferences
    - system config
  and most likely a consistent way of handling unexpected capplets.
  The key issue here is that once the ximian shell starts scrolling
  it is alot less usable.  There are also layout issues for
  languages like German with reallydamnlongwords.