Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Volume Manager for GNOME 2.8

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 07:57:22AM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:

> > > How does that impact gvm's behaviour?
> >
> > It depends.  But in no way will it ever do anything wrong (basically it
> > just won't get certain/any events).
>
> The important question is will people using magicdev currently need to
> carry on using it, or does HAL on 2.4[1] resort to polling to get CD
> drive notifications at least?

HAL doesn't work on Linux kernel 2.4, sorry. It may be possible to do
HAL on 2.4 but I suspect it's a pain since there is no real equivalent
of sysfs. Dunno.

> I'm sure someone using 2.4 would understand that they didn't get gPhoto
> started when they plugged a camera in, or USB memory sticks mounted, but
> CD drive notification not working looks rather lame (despite the real
> technical issues).
>
> Ross
>
> [1] Sad to say, but some people have to.  2.6 still refuses to
> suspend/resume on my Thinkpad.  Speaking of which, I wonder if HAL will
> detect me inserting CF cards into my built-in CardBus reader...

HAL will poll all your removable media including card readers and
optical drives unless you explicitly blacklist or whitelist the device
through a HAL device information file (distributors can configure HAL
to use either a whitelist or a blacklist policy through a systemwide
HAL configuration file). It works pretty nicely with my devices, but
YMMV.

Cheers,
David