Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Volume Manager for GNOME 2.8

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 07:57 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:

> > > How does that impact gvm's behaviour?
> >
> > It depends.  But in no way will it ever do anything wrong (basically it
> > just won't get certain/any events).
>
> The important question is will people using magicdev currently need to
> carry on using it, or does HAL on 2.4[1] resort to polling to get CD
> drive notifications at least?
>
> I'm sure someone using 2.4 would understand that they didn't get gPhoto
> started when they plugged a camera in, or USB memory sticks mounted, but
> CD drive notification not working looks rather lame (despite the real
> technical issues).

This is an integration problem. Most of the distribution vendors will
use 2.6 from now on. If they choose not to, they would distribute
magicdev, if they use 2.6, they'll ship with gvm.

And I don't expect to maintain magicdev for much longer either, as it
will soon be deprecated by gvm itself.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.