Re: The Evolution Copyright Assignment Form (Was: pdf

The only (minor) issues I have with the agreement are as follows:
1) It applies to all past, or future works, regardless of whether those
works are submitted to Ximian/Novell.  Theoretically, internal corporate
changes are owned by Novell or patches an individual might make but
never distribute.  Also, if a developer signs this agreement, then does
internal work on Evolution in a work-for-hire arrangement (where the
employer owns the copyright), how does this conflict resolve itself?
This wouldn't be a problem if the copyright assignment applied only to
works submitted to Novell for inclusion in the evolution tree.

2) Something seems vaguely fishy about paragraph 4.  "[Novell] agrees to
distribute...under a license that complies with the [DFSG]".  Does this
mean that Novell must continue to actively distribute the Works or
merely that when it does distribute it, it will be available under a
DFSG-license?

3) In paragraph 5, in effect the developer agrees to license
patents/whatever in royalty-free, RAND.  I'm fairly sure that an
agreement to license it is different from a license to use it.  There
should I think be some language like "agrees to license, and hereby does
license" or something like that.  IANAL.

-Rob