Re: Proposing gwget for Gnome 2.10

David Sedeño Fernández <david alderia com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose gwget for Gnome 2.10 inclusion.

I don't think a separate download manager is really useful for the GNOME
desktop.  Users almost never run into URIs by themselves -- they are
almost always encountered in some context, such as web-browsing or
email.  Epiphany's download manager is quite good.  I don't see what a
separate application in addition to that adds.

Rather than a download manager, I'd much rather see better and more
consistent support for gnome-vfs in the core desktop applications.  All
our applications should support loading files and saving (where
appropriate) from remote places.  I've wanted to see a libgnomevfsui for
a while now, and think that dialogs along these lines would be really
useful.  In particular, I'd like to see a consistent user dialogs and
experiences for:

 * Saving a file remotely.  This is a trickier one to do right, as
   seeking on an http stream is pretty bad.  It's better to save the
   file locally and transfer it over.  libgsf has some support for this,
   but no dialog.  I started one in gnome-panel-screenshot, but it's
   pretty raw.

 * Transferring a number of files.  The nautilus dialog is really good,
   but is unavailable for applications.

It would be great to see some energy put here instead.

Thanks,
-Jonathan