Re: Proposing gwget for Gnome 2.10

Jonathan Blandford wrote:

David Sede�ern�ez <david alderia com> writes:

Hi,

I would like to propose gwget for Gnome 2.10 inclusion.

I don't think a separate download manager is really useful for the GNOME
desktop.  Users almost never run into URIs by themselves -- they are
almost always encountered in some context, such as web-browsing or
email.  Epiphany's download manager is quite good.  I don't see what a
separate application in addition to that adds.

Two cases where epiphany's download manager falls short:

a) clicking a URI for a .tar.gz in evolution (or any other app) open the epiphany browser window unnecessarily just to use the download manager. This b) Is not possible for a user to pause a download, log out, log in later and resume downloading the file.

I certainly like the idea of a download (transfer) manager at the gnome-vfs level, so that any download (or upload) initiated via gnome-vfs could be managed in the same transfer manager window.

Regards,
Ricardo Veguilla