Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts

On Mer, 2004-11-03 at 22:37, Franco Catrin wrote:
> - gnome-panel loads all the icons and menu entries (more than 1500 files
> here)????

The gnome theme could is demented, various people have been looking at
improving it - I've posted a tool to pack a load of files into one mmap
shared object, Havoc I believe posted some other suggestions - so if
you've got time there is easy progress to be made there.

> All preloading is done with readahead.  A small app that loads a list of
> files.

Using sys_readahead or read() ?