Re: jhbuilding was: Proposed Module Request, Request

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 23:25 +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:44:01 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
>
> > The jhbuild module sets have always contained build info for more
> > packages than the just the Gnome desktop and developer platform, and
> > this hasn't been a problem.
>
> Well, most of the required dependcies ...
>
> > If you want to build the Gnome desktop and nothing else, you just use
> > ["meta-gnome-desktop"] as the list of modules you want to build.  In
> > fact, this is the default for the sample configuration files (and the
> > default if you don't set modules in the configuration file).
>
> Has anyone had any success completing a jhbuild of gnome 2.10? I've spent
> a week on and off attempting to do so; are there any special tricks? Is
> there a secret list where people are flinging patches to fix build issues,
> etc.?

For what it is worth, I'm jhbuilding 2.10 /constantly/ here:

http://gnome-build.ximian.com/tinderbox/LATEST/

and it has mostly been successful- logs are here:

http://gnome-build.ximian.com/tinderbox/

(Sadly, no top-level green/red data yet.)

Common problems are:

* not doing jhbuild bootstrap
* clean checkouts v. stale checkouts- some modules have funkiness in
'cvs up' and need to be rm -rf'd and jhbuild buildone-d from scratch to
get them to build sometimes. (The tinderbox /always/ rm -rf and builds
from scratch; I could maybe set up one that does not do that and catches
those problems.)
* .la files in OS-provided dependencies- at ximian, we've typically
recommended doing 'sudo find / -name *.la | xargs rm' or something
perhaps less brutal to get rid of them.

HTH-
Luis