Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, [utf-8] Danilo Å egan wrote:

> From: "[utf-8] Danilo Å egan" <danilo gnome org>
> Subject: Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10
>
> Today at 17:46, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > On Maw, 2004-11-02 at 00:27, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >> You don't know libsamplerate, do you? libsamplerate provides multiple
> >> resampling implementations. While all are fp, one does probably more
> >> or less in fp what esd does in integer. (I haven't looked at the
> >> resampling code of esound, I must admit, but it probably isn't much
> >> worse than libsamplerate's SRC_ZERO_ORDER_HOLD.)
> >
> > In floating point they are *useless* on many platforms. You are talking
> > 500 times slower than integer or worse if they are trapping to emulation
> > of FPU units.
>
> I see the point Alan is trying to make, but is this relevant for Gnome
> adoption?  I mean, on what machines is Gnome (especially 2.10)
> actually usable which are not equipped with a FPU?

Just an uneducated guess, but do all PDA's have a (good) FPU?

> (Honest, I don't know, not trying to pick anybody up.  I just had the
> impression that Gnome mostly ran on machines where FPU is a standard,
> but I never actually put any thought into it.)
>
> Cheers,
> Danilo

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."