Re: more build sherrif-ery (and a touch of auto*)

Hi,

> We've got Daniel Reed [1], extreme auto-foo samurai, who would be able
> to bring up most modules to the latest auto-tools versions pretty
> quickly.  He would like to port the modules to 1.9 (current) if people
> don't have any disagreements with that.  It seems reasonable to me to go
> for the latest current release if we're going to be putting time into
> this at all, but what the hell do I know about auto-tools. :-)
>
> So if there are not complaints about the version bump I'd suggest the
> maintainers duck and cover for a flurry of incoming patches.

I don't see a good reason to go for the latest.  Traditionally every new
automake adds some new features and breaks some older, but if you stick
to a sane subset of them you can easily come up with something that
works for, say, 1.6-1.9

Remember that there are still people doing development on more-than-
half-year-old distros !

If this is too much for any willing auto-foo samurai, I am willing to
chip in my aid as an auto-foo gajin.

Thomas

Baby no matter what love's got to offer
I burn myself down to the ground