Re: Menubar (and Empty Default Desktop) Proposals for GNOME 2.10

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Nigel Tao wrote:

[...]
To me, this middle section looks a lot like the Applications menu to
start with.  "Create a Spreadsheet" is equivalent to Office ->
Spreadsheet.
[...]
How about another proposal - just Applications and Places.  Or, in other
words, "Things to Do, Places to See".  Or, in other other words, "task-
centric, document-centric".

How about giving the Nautilus templates a place in this menu organisation? Currently the templates system is quite undiscoverable (right click on desktop, create document, and then it will only be useful if you put some templates in ~/Templates beforehand).

To boost the template functionality, two things are required: 1) more visibility and 2) apps putting some default templates in ~/Templates upon installation and/or automatically adding templates to the Templates folder whenever the user saves a document as template.

We can at least start with 1) by embracing the 'Create document...' menu in the new menu organisation.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen

==  Europa zonder softwarepatenten! == www.nosoftwarepatents.com ==