Re: Menubar (and Empty Default Desktop) Proposals for GNOME 2.10

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 12:24 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

> How about giving the Nautilus templates a place in this menu
> organisation? Currently the templates system is quite undiscoverable
> (right click on desktop, create document, and then it will only be
> useful if you put some templates in ~/Templates beforehand).
>
> To boost the template functionality, two things are required: 1) more
> visibility and 2) apps putting some default templates in ~/Templates
> upon installation and/or automatically adding templates to the Templates
> folder whenever the user saves a document as template.
>
> We can at least start with 1) by embracing the 'Create document...' menu
> in the new menu organisation.

I agree here too. The templates system is woefully underused--
applications such as the GIMP and AbiWord already have their own
template system that's inaccessible through the file manager.

If we can start encouraging a desktop-wide usage of Templates (possibly
even a cross-desktop standard), we can move even more towards a strong
document-oriented interface, which IMO is a very good thing.