Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Mon, 22.11.04 19:01, Seth Nickell (snickell redhat com) wrote:

> That mixing is no longer done in hardware but has been punted to the
> host system for low cost cards feels like a driver layer issue, not
> something that should be solved by an intermediary sound API. To give a
> crude analogy, this feels like proposing that the host CPU bits for
> Winmodem support should be handled in the application layer.

Doing soft modem stuff in userspace makes sense. It's a large piece of
software, usually uses FP arithmetics and works fine in userspace, so
why put into into kernel space? There is really no benefit in moving
this into kernel space. In fact, I think that it is a bad idea to put
it there.

In fact even Linus himself stated that the place of softmodems is the
user space. The interface to the modem hardware should be nothing more
than a sound API.

(One of my other projects is a free v24 (fax) softmodem, so I am a
little into this topic. I am sorry if this is slightly off-topic)

Lennart

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }