Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 18:33 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 23.11.04 12:07, Colin Walters (walters redhat com) wrote:
>
> > > Besides, Polypaudio already exists and works, while your ALSA pulgin
> > > doesn't exist yet.
> >
> > For the local case, asym does exist.
>
> asym? what's asym?

The version of dmix that also handles recording; just detail, not really
relevant here.

> I don't want to push polypaudio as a replacement for ALSA. I can't win
> that one. The ALSA API is designed with professional audio in
> mind. Polypaudio is designed with desktop audio in mind. Professional
> audio will always use ALSA at the lowest level possible.

Exactly, and that's why Polypaudio can't become the standard sound API.
Professional audio people are going to want mixing too.

> And I don't want to push polypaudio as a required dependency of
> Gnome. As I already expressed earlier, I really do like the idea of
> having GStreamer as an abstraction layer for ding caching and playback
> of simple sounds.

Great, we are in agreement then.

> On the other hand I do think that Gnome needs
> networked and portable audio and things like that and that Polypaudio
> should become the *default* audio system of the gnome desktop.

This contradicts the paragraph above.  Polypaudio, sitting below
GStreamer, would be part of the underlying OS, not the GNOME Desktop or
Platform.  So if you want to convince distributors to use it, you should
be sending email to e.g.
debian-devel lists debian org, fedora-devel-list redhat com, etc.

> Yes, the bugfix is called "polypaudio". ;-)

Let's leave that choice up to distributors.