Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:45:48 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> It would mean that sound would stop working for those applications.  But
> I just don't think there are really any users outside of GNOME.  Fedora
> has shipped with esd disabled by default for over a year now, and we
> haven't had complaints (besides sound mixing not working).

I don't think that makes sense. Binary compatibility is a binary choice,
it's either guaranteed or it's not. This doesn't technically break the ABI
but it clearly does break the semantics of the API.

Trying to guess who is doing what isn't possible, there's too much
software in the world, so best to always assume no matter how brain
damaged an action is, that somebody somewhere did it. If Polypaudio is
used in Fedora then this API would magically start working again, right?