Re: libgnomesu [was Re: Proposed modules: my consensus so far]

Shahms King wrote:
This is true for sudo, but not ssh.  ssh usually reads the password from
stdin, but can also be told to execute an arbitrary program:
SSH_ASKPASS
If ssh needs a passphrase, it will read the passphrase from the current terminal if it was run from a terminal. If ssh does not have a terminal associated with it but DISPLAY and SSH_ASKPASS are set, it will execute the program specified by SSH_ASKPASS and open an X11 window to read the passphrase. This is particularly useful when calling ssh from a .Xsession or related script. (Note that on some machines it may be necessary to redirect the input from /dev/null to make this work.)

Notice the "does not have a terminal" part. I tried about anything to make it think it doesn't have a terminal (closing stdin/stdout, etc.), but nothing worked.

Regardless, ssh can be told to read its passphrase from something other
than the controlling terminal.  sudo, however, has no option or
environment variable for telling it to read the password from somewhere
else, although I imagine a patch to do so wouldn't be terribly
difficult.

It does, it has an option for reading from stdin. But that still leaves the output, just like ssh. There is no way to tell whether the authentication succeeded, other than to read the output.