Re: Polypaudio action plan

> If we merely deprecate esound (while still including it for backwards
> compatibility) and reccommend polypaudio in the release notes, then there's no
> guarantee that distros will ship polypaudio (which is better than esound, by
> concensus), and many users will be stuck with the crappy but well-tested esound
> back-end for gstreamer and gnome. At least, that seems to me like a good
> possibility.

The point to not putting polypaudio in the platform is to allow distros
more latitude to experiment with different approaches to the mixing
problem. For example, in Fedora we may try an Alsa/dmix approach rather
than polypaudio. Or we could use polypaudio now and play with the
Alsa/dmix approach to see how it compares.

-Seth