Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 12:36 +0100, Marc O'Morain wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> <quote who="Steven Garrity">
> > I realize the advantage would be to have a default place for
> > applications to put downloads - but as the default download destination
> > is usually temporary, wouldn't it be better to put downloads right on
> > the desktop where they are more visible?
>
> I used to use Internet Explorer, and I would save all files to the desktop
> by default. Very soon I became one of those people with junk files all
> over the desktop. I think that having a designated Downloads folder (the
> way Firefox does it) is a good thing.

I do like the idea of having a Downloads folder on the desktop but it
needs to be smart. I.E. if my web browser downloads a picture it should
put it in the pictures folder not the Downloads one. Likewise for videos
and music files - the Downloads folder should only contain downloaded
stuff that doesn't fit into one of the other folders (it should be mime
type dependant so other types could be handled with custom desktop
folders so I could say create a zip folder and have the web browser
automatically place all downloaded zips there).

Of course this would require system integration with Firefox/Mozilla/
Ephinany so maybe we need a freedesktop standard to define it?

jamie.