Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 12:47 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> I do like the idea of having a Downloads folder on the desktop but it
> needs to be smart. I.E. if my web browser downloads a picture it should
> put it in the pictures folder not the Downloads one. Likewise for videos
> and music files - the Downloads folder should only contain downloaded
> stuff that doesn't fit into one of the other folders (it should be mime
> type dependant so other types could be handled with custom desktop
> folders so I could say create a zip folder and have the web browser
> automatically place all downloaded zips there).
>
> Of course this would require system integration with Firefox/Mozilla/
> Ephinany so maybe we need a freedesktop standard to define it?

Just to add to this, I would propose adding an extra column to the mime-
type database to specify default folder location. That way browsers can
read this to determine the download folder to use. It could also be used
by other Gnome apps in the open file dialog by automatically starting
the file chooser in the default location for the respective MiME type EG
if I open Abiword, the file dialog would initialise in the default
folder for that Mime type.

Of course this way is fully configurable and extendable so should meet
all requirements for everyone's needs.

jamie.