Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths

Dnia 04-10-2004, pon o godzinie 21:23 +1000, Jeff Waugh napisał:
> > I don't think there's anything I have as strong opinion as I have about my
> > desktop's integrity, and I will fight any attempt to breach it.
>
> So *you* can change your setting. I don't hear normal users using this kind
> of aggressive language to describe files appearing on their desktops in OSX,
> in fact, usually they end up saying, "Oh, that's handy".

Why should *I* ask to regain control over *my* desktop? AFAIK, there are
two rules applicable here,
1) Desktop is totally under user's reign
2) No prefs to unbreak apps.
Rest is simple math. And btw, it's not handy, it's big "WTF? Where the
hell did my download go?", it took me good while to figure that out when
I was first time exposed to this FF's invention. For sake of
discoverability (currently there's no clue given by epi / FF about
download landing on dekstop) we should present short notice anyway first
time user downloads something, and I see no problem with saying "your
download will be available in Downloads/ folder"[1] there, while being
far less intrusive.

Cheers,
Maciej

[1] Of course, I prefer just asking where to put the file, that's why we
have bookmarks and default target folder in file chooser, they make that
operation really quick. But if everyone agrees that's the best way to
help user, so be it, just let's not create mess on user's desktop,
they're sufficiently good at it themselves, OK? I really don't want to
see win32 desktop horror recurring in GNOME

> --
> linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia
> http://lca2005.linux.org.au/
>
>    It makes perfect sense. If you're a narcissistic arsehole spawned
> from a curdled gene pool.

heh, I couldn't have said that better myself ;)

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"
   Maciej Katafiasz <mnews2 wp pl>