Re: Finding files from Nautilus

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 06:53:22 -0400, Mystilleef <mystilleef gmail com> wrote:
> The inability of Nautilus to search for and filter files in the
> currently opened directory is torturous. I hate to have to hunt one
> file in a folder filled with ten thousand files manually.

There is type-to-find to help with that (but not sure if this is only
from the beginning of the name though, probably is).

> I have always considered a file manager to be the google interface on my
> desktop. Unfortunately, I have to open a terminal to search for files
> on my desktop.

Googliness would requier a cool metadata system :)

> I don't have gnome-utils installed so I can't use the global search
> tool. I have used it in the past, and I wasn't impressed either. I
> think Nautilus is incomplete without a search function.

It shouldn't be neccessary to integrate it into nautilus, just to call
the search tool from nautilus with approperiate parameters should be
enough (and would allow searches from outside of nautilus too). As for
the current quality of the search tool, I dunno, haven't used it
recently.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi