Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts

<quote who="Havoc Pennington">

> On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 09:02 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Note that the splash screen could be defined as part of the metatheme
> > (with or without controls to modify it in the Theme > Details box), so
> > that it would not add significantly to the amount of visible
> > preferences.
>
> I'm a bit skeptical of that because the two arguable purposes of the
> splash are to put a brand (GNOME or distribution) there

So the default themes on distros would point to the branded splash screen,
I'd imagine.

> (At least as long as I can remember, the progress display gets screwed up
> every time we change the splashscreen art - probably possible to solve
> technically, but not currently solved)

I don't think that's been true for a while now - the icons scale down and
bunch up in rows. The only thing splash artists need to worry about is the
size of the icon 'groove' at the bottom. If we change the design of the
splash progress display, that'll be between releases anyway - distros and
artists can adjust.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia         http://lca2005.linux.org.au/

    "It's not sufficient to 'use simple words to explain things'. Things
      must actually *be* simple, which is much harder." - Martin Pool