Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 04:33, Iain * wrote:
> > Particularly if you consider that the splash screen serves no useful
> > purpose anyway.
>
> Yeah, I've been considering proposing to remove the icons from it,
> because really they don't serve much purpose. Unless there's a
> problem, do you really need to know that something called "nautius"
> and something else called "gnome-panel" have been started? (what are
> they anyway, and why do they start up?)

What about doing something like the bootsplash on Fedora?  No need for
big, in-your-face icons for all the services, but have a little text off
to the right telling you what's loading.  It's simple and unobtrusive,
sort of like a statusbar.  My mother would hardly notice it, and ignore
it even if she did.  But if I have to fix some problem on her machine,
it's there for me to see.

Anyway, if a splash screen is necessary (and I think it still is), then
having some sort of activity on the splash screen is a good thing.  It
gives the impression that something is actually going on.

--
Shaun