Re: libbonoboui and pack-end toolbar items

Hi Marco,

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 11:05 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> the recent merge of the toolbar-rework branch in libbonoboui breaks
> pack-end widgets, for example the nautilus throbber.

	Right - this was always going to be a problem sadly.

> <toolitem name="Back"/>
> <toolitem name="Forward"/>
> <separator type="space" behavior="expandable"/>
> <control name="ThrobberWrapper"/>
>
> All that it would take is to support a type="space" attribute
> for separator.

	I guess so.

> Obviously this would not be backward compatible :(

	One thing that would be (perhaps) would be for nautilus to add a large,
expandable (empty) control in-between [ if this was done with a
no-window-widget using bonobo_ui_component_widget_set it should have no
theme impact I think ].

>  Though we have only one application (nautilus) using packends and
> fixing it would be trivial. The pack-end behavior could be deprecated:
> ipotetical applications using it would still work fine, even if
> looking ugly.

	It should be deprecated I think.

> Thoughts and better solutions would be greatly appreciated.

	It's just a shame that the only way to workaround the long-standing gtk
+ ABI breakage that caused the problem is to break the libbonoboui
API/ABI - but as you say, no-one much is using that; and I guess at
least this fix gives us far better toolbar key-nav, i18n wrt. LTR etc.
so, it's the right way to go really.

	Patches / fixes etc. appreciated, I have no time to spend on bonobo*
currently.

	Regards,

		Michael.

--
 michael meeks novell com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot