Re: plan to drop automake-1.6 from jhbuild

On 01/09/04 01:41, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

It sounds like a good plan.  Do packages still require automake-1.4,
though?
I'd like to get rid of 1.4 too, but it is being used by a fair number of modules currently (more so than those requesting 1.6). I did a very non scientific test for this after doing a jhbuild build of the Gnome desktop modules:

   for pkg in `jhbuild list meta-gnome-desktop`; do
if [ -f $pkg/Makefile ] && head -1 $pkg/Makefile | grep -qF 'automake 1.4'; then
           echo $pkg;
       fi;
   done

It listed the following packages:
libIDL, gconf, libart_lgpl, startup-notification, gtk-engines, gnome-desktop, gnome-session, libgtop, metacity, libcroco, eel, nautilus, gnome-control-center, gtkhtml2, yelp, bug-buddy, libgnomecups, eog, ggv, gconf-editor, procman, gnome-netstatus, nautilus-cd-burner, libgail-gnome, gnome-mag, gnopernicus

So there is still a fair number of modules using automake 1.4. It would be nice to get those modules switched over, but I suspect that it will be non-trivial in many cases. While some of the modules can probably be built from CVS with a newer automake, you really need to check whether "make distcheck" passes before making the change.

Maybe this is something we should look at after the 2.8 release.

James.

--
Email: james jamesh id au
WWW:   http://www.jamesh.id.au/