Re: plan to drop automake-1.6 from jhbuild

James Henstridge <james jamesh id au> writes:

> It listed the following packages:
> libIDL, gconf, libart_lgpl, startup-notification, gtk-engines,
> gnome-desktop, gnome-session, libgtop, metacity, libcroco, eel,
> nautilus, gnome-control-center, gtkhtml2, yelp, bug-buddy,
> libgnomecups, eog, ggv, gconf-editor, procman, gnome-netstatus,
> nautilus-cd-burner, libgail-gnome, gnome-mag, gnopernicus
>
> So there is still a fair number of modules using automake 1.4.  It
> would be nice to get those modules switched over, but I suspect that
> it will be non-trivial in many cases.  While some of the modules can
> probably be built from CVS with a newer automake, you really need to
> check whether "make distcheck" passes before making the change.
>
> Maybe this is something we should look at after the 2.8 release.

Definitely post 2.8 worthy.

One thing that might be interesting to do at the same time is to clean
up usage of gnome-common.  An equally unscientific survey of my src/
directory shows that about half of the gnome-modules use
gnome-autogen.sh, and half don't:

% for file in `find . -name autogen.sh -maxdepth 2`; do if ! grep \
gnome-autogen $file > /dev/null ; then echo $file; fi; done | wc

While we're at it, is there a better spot for the two remaining macros?
I'm wondering if we can kill this module, somehow.

Thanks,
-Jonathan