Re: Desktop-Wide User Status

Sean Middleditch wrote:
If you're sitting at your computer, do you really need it to tell you
that you're there?  ;-)

Seriously, what exactly do you mean by self presence?  Advertising to
other users across the network whether you're around or not?  A
framework for allowing applications to test if you're present so they
can notify the other users?

Best bet there, I'd wager, is to D-BUS-ize xscreensaver and whenever it
kicks in, send a signal, letting any interested apps know you're not
around.  Would be useful for a whole ton of other stuff, too.  (Power
saving, etc.)

What got me thinking was just setting myself as "away" in both Gaim and Skype and thinking "should I only have to do that once?"

I do remember a Microsoft Researcher mentioning something about "if a gas-station urinal can tell when you walk away from it, surely a PC can do the same." While it's a good thought, I'm not thinking of anything fancy - sounds like Galago already deals with everything I had in mind.

Steven Garrity