Re: Request for pango freeze break

man, 13,.09.2004 kl. 14.57 -0400, skrev Owen Taylor:

> > > No. (It was a GNOME-2.4 => GNOME-2.6 regression.)
> >
> > This is a mark against it. It suggests that it's not that serious.
>
> Well, Pango-1.4.0 was a lot more broken for CJK font selection
> than this (it was close to unusable), so I'm not sure anybody
> would have noticed. But yes, it's not a crasher, but rather
> an safef-fix I've gotten various bug reports on.

We're announcing broader support for many of languages in the release
notes, so I think this is one way of ensuring that's actually true...

> > > Not a lot,
> >
> > Another mark against it. I trust your judgement, but I don't see a
> > compelling reason to take even a small risk with such a fundamentally
> > important part of GNOME at the last minute.
>
> Well, it will just mean that I'll do a 1.6.1 very shortly, with this
> change (and probably some much more intrusive changes) and people
> will use that instead of whatever was in the "official" GNOME-2.8.

I think it's better to have it in sooner than later. More time to fix it
up if it breaks...

> But since I said I'd stick to the GNOME release process, I'm not
> going to put it in without getting release team approval.

Is this only true for pango btw? I see commits every now and then in the
gtk-2-4 branch of gtk+.

1 of 2 from me

Cheers
Kjartan