Re: gnome-ppp [was: Re: the future of GNOME Applets]

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 16:49 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 11:43 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > HAL love would be good - you currently have to manually select your
> > modem.  It would be a simple change, I imagine, to make it query the
> > list of available modems and provide a drop-down selection vs just
> > entering the device path.

> Last time I looked HAL didn't handle serial devices, or does it these
> days?

I don't have any serial ports... this makes it hard to test. I suspect
it can't handle them. It probably could know about USB modems though,
and internal PCI modems (driver support pending).

> Scanning ports and sending AT to see what happens sounds like a good
> idea but I seem to remember my UPS getting rather angry when I thought
> it was a modem.

I'm almost afraid to mention it, but how does Windows do it? Their
scanning for hardware think brings up the serial lines and says
something to the devices I've got plugged in. Don't know if I've ever
tried it with a machine containing both a UPS and a modem.

Personally (now we're getting real off-topic) I want HAL to support
UPSes with the same interface they are planning to use to support laptop
batteries. Then the GNOME battery monitor will be able to report
information from your UPS on your desktop, sehr chic!

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA