Re: Revisiting the Gnome Bindings

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:39:48 -0700, Eugenia Loli-Queru
<eloli hotmail com> wrote:
> > I think that perl developers are familiar with using CPAN. And I think
> > that might be the best way to install those bindings. I'm not an expert on
> > that though.
> I am talking about the users. Exactly because most distros don't package the
> bindings, the users will find themselves in need to install them by hand.

I would think that any distro that packages software that uses the
bindings, will have those packaged as well. And if an user decides
that (s)he needs software that is not a part of the distribution, it's
the users responsibility to satisfy these dependancies.

Now, I'm not saying that the Foundation shouldn't ask for packaging,
that would be nice. But as has been pointed out, some of the bindings
have big dependancies (mainly java and mono) that have their own
issues. I would think that the distros won't want to resolve those
until there's enough pressure from the users.

Anyways, I don't think it's fair to blame the Foundation for the lack
of packaging since it's really not (just) a case of inadequate
marketing.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi