Re: Revisiting the Gnome Bindings

<quote who="Eugenia Loli-Queru">

> This should be the job of the Gnome Foundation, not yours or mine. Gnome
> Bindings is now an official Gnome Project, and so it's under the
> juristiction of the Foundation. Why do they get voted for? To simply
> exist?

Most GNOME developers, Foundation members and Foundation Board directors are
very aware that we can't make distributions do anything, even if in many
cases, there are distribution decision makers among us. If we started
putting undue pressure on our distributors to comply with our demands, they
would not be so happy to distribute our software.

A big part of this is that distributions will not want to *support* all of
the bindings. Why should they? That's an awful lot of work! :-)

Basically, if we're not compelling enough to begin with, no one, not even
our distributors will care. What's the compelling reason to ship bindings?
Great apps. If you want to push this along (and I encourage you to do so),
your best bet is to inspire more developers to write great apps using their
favourite bindings.

(Please don't mail Tim about this, it's nothing to do with him.)

- Jeff

--
GNOME Boston Summit                                       October 9-11, 2004

     "Just because I sit in front of a terminal all day doesn't mean I
      couldn't hunt you down and righteously kick your ass to feed my
          newfound cannabalism." - Darwinian System Administration