Re: Thoughts on 2.10

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 17:55, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 17:08 -0700, George Farris wrote:
> > I've been following the news groups and talking to a number of users
> > over the last couple of days. By no means does this qualify as a good
> > poll but there are a couple of things that come up over and over again.
> > Most of these people are from University settings, professors, staff and
> > students.
> >
> > What people want improved in GNOME, these are in no particular order:
> >
> > 1) Consistent drag and drop policy.
>
> What exactly is broken?  Need to be more specific.

Oops I meant the clipboard, sorry.

> > 2) Speed, GNOME performance requires improvement, app start up etc.
> > 3) Ways to mount network (mostly Samba) via Nautilus so it appears next
> > time user logs in.  (Mapping a drive in MS comes to mind)
>
> Nautilus has done this for at least one previous release, if not two.
> Just use the "Connect to Server" feature and the server is remembered
> between sessions.

Maybe I should look at 2.8

> > 4) Solid selection of Media applications.
> > 5) A good gtk CD/DVD burner application.
> > 6) Working point and click plugin installation for browsers.
>
> This has a bazillion problems that GNOME can't really work around.
> Like, say, the fact that most of the plugin vendors are asshats and wrap
> their plugins in these installers that require shell script-foo to
> unpack, and have non-redistribution/modification clauses.
>
> Mozilla/Firefox already has an awesome plugin installation framework.
> You just need to get the plugin vendors to remove their heads from their
> rears and support it.

I realize there are issues with this, I'm just passing on comments from
others.

> Feel free to contribute patches.  The way things work now, people work
> on what they feel like working on.  If none of the core developers are
> in the mood to work on printing, it won't happen.  If you have an itch
> to scratch, please, please do so.

>From where I stand it would take a huge effort on my part to begin to
understand things such as clipboard management, I've seen people try:-)

Please note that I'm not complaining just passing on comments.

--

George Farris <george gmsys com>