Re: Revisiting the Gnome Bindings

Hi,
> > Note that this is also the requirement for getting a binding into the
> > desktop release :)
>
> No, now that we have a Bindings release set, I think that a binding would
> stay in the Bindings release set, just as a Platform library would stay in
> the Platform. Whether a Desktop module should use a Binding is another
> question.

This has always been a vague situation.  Let me offer a concrete
example.

I've always wanted to rewrite both gnome-cd and gnome-sound-recorder
using python.  The python bindings for GNOME are absolutely excellent,
and given the number of bug reports and feature requests on these
applications where lots of code needs to be added for stuff like "HTTP
CDDB proxy support" which is much more sensible to do in something else
than C, I really don't see either application evolve at all in the near
future.

However, nobody seems to be able to tell me what would happen if I were
to actually rewrite and add features this way.  Would it bring pygtk and
gst-python in the GNOME platform ? Would it kick gnome-media out of
there ?

Clearly, the Mexican standoff of not implementing features while pygtk
has a gun pointed to its head is not a good situation.

Is there any way I can get some sort of sensible fearless rescuing so we
can drop the guns ?

Thomas

I've been told
only fools rush in