Re: desktop-devel-list Digest, Vol 5, Issue 77

Sean Middleditch wrote, in part:

Depending on Python at this point for any core GNOME module would be
disastrous, IMO.  Allowing pygtk/pygnome in the Bindings release
wouldn't be bad; all the GTK apps I've written are in Python, it's a
great language and pygtk is a great binding.  I've also already twice
been bitten by python version upgrades over the last year or two, so I
know first hand what a PITA it is, especially when you rely on a third-
party module.

I think this is a bit of an overstatement. AFAIK any GNOME modules using Python could take steps to mitigate these issues, for instance explicitly using forward-looking parts of the Python spec that aren't in 2.2 yet, specifying the python version in the .py files, etc.

I think we should allow Python modules in desktop at least.

- Bill