File actions (was: Device icon action)

Hi,

I am going to steer this thread in my own direction. :)

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 01:53 -0700, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Maybe a View Audio Files or View Video Files option in the right click
> > context menu?
>
> Default context menu item == "Play" (or whatever action makes sense), with
> the "Open" item still there, but not default.

We need a solution for describing actions other than "Open" for many
file types.  In Beagle, for files we want to have "Open" and also
"Reveal in file manager" that would cause the file to be selected in a
new Nautilus window.  For media files, "Open" and "Enqueue."  For IMs,
open the log and also IM the individual.  And so on...  Right now we're
hard coding a lot of these items, but that's not a tenable solution.

We could perhaps overload the MIME system for this, but that makes me
feel a little dirty.  How do other people feel about the problem?  Any
other suggestions?

Joe