Re: Browser Mode by Default [Was: Nautilus]

Hi Jeff,

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 02:26 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

>  * Ubuntu has switched to browse mode by default

And this I very much regret.

I, for one, did not understand why Breezy did ship with that crippled
"ubuntu-nautilus" option set to "on" by default inside the schema, that
closed the parent windows behind, breaking my work flow without letting
me know (apart from digging into Ubuntu's bugzilla and the changelog for
the nautilus package) what the hell happenend.  *This*, for me, was a
major flaw for Breezy; a flaw that reflected onto GNOME itself.

Ubuntu, as a packager, has all the rights of changing the default
settings; on the other hand, I don't think that upstream behaviour
should change, unless *every* GNOME packager decides to ship with
browser mode by default - and even then, I'd be still strongly against
it.

For me, spatial mode activated by default was not a mistake, but enable
me to finally use Nautilus for operating on my files and my directories
- and mind me, I've never used a spatial file manager before.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi - <ebassi gmail com>