Re: Exciting GNOME?

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 12:43 -0500, Mystilleef wrote:
> A theme competition on gnome-look.org and art.gnome.org might be a
> good idea. The first rule should be, "No pixmap themes allowed!",
> however.

I wouldn't say that. If somebody comes up with a reasonable fast pixmap
engine the user wouldn't even have to notice. The existing pixmap engine
is however *extremely* slow - a notebook tab easily takes a complete
second to render on my P4 2.4 / Radeon 9800. I can recall a posting on
the themes list stating that the reason is nobody ever tried to optimize
it.

Either way, we need to make up at least /some/ rules from the beginning,
like

- What is the allow colour depth. (I suppose we need to think of
terminal clients supporting only 256 colours.)
- Is transparency allowed (IIRC widgets with rounded edges are likely to
cause problems in some scenarios).
- Possibly define a colour palette. Do we want to keep the current
default icon set? In which case the theme needs to complement it's
colours.
- ...?

-Samuel
|      Samuel Abels       |   http://www.debain.org    |
| spam ad debain dod org  | knipknap ad jabber dod org |