Re: Next Generation Themeing (was Re: Exciting GNOME?)

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 17:57 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Samuel Abels wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 00:32 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >
> >><quote who="Seth Nickell">

> > Then I guess I am pretty alone when I don't feel that this is an
> > improvement?
> >

> Its an improvement over bluecurve but not a quantum leap in themes. All
> the Gnome themes I have seen lack sex appeal and reinforce the view that
> its all very bland (which is okay for a corporate desktop but boring to
> everyone else).
>
> I do hope we can look forward to being innovative themewise rather than
> just playing catchup all the time. I would guess MS will probably enable
> XAML to include shading and lighting objects via Avalon (maybe even
> embedding shading lanuguages within XAML?) so I expect Longhorn to look
> very very pretty and possibly photorealistic.
>
> It would be nice if we could beat MS here and be the first out of the
> door with more photorealistic themes.

It would be nice if we could just get a default theme that doesn't
make users cringe, and worry about adding fancy stuff later as the
technology becomes available.  I would really hate to see us miss
yet another release because everybody was too busy discussing Star
Trek future stuff.

--
Shaun