Re: [g-a-devel] Re: gok broken with new libwnck

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:43:21 +0100, Torsten Schoenfeld
<kaffeetisch gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 10:09 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
>
> > I know the position you're in sucks, but I'm willing to help you out
> > with it.  Note that Anders Carlsson changed API in libwnck for
> > wnck_window_close in an identical fashion *during* the 2.6 stable
> > series.  Given that kind of precedent, I don't think it's unreasonable
> > to change API during the unstable series.
>
> You make it sound as if that change didn't cause any problems.  But it
> did cause rather big problems for the Perl bindings of libwnck, because
> there was no way to find out if we compile against 2.6.2 or 2.6.2.1 just
> by using preprocessor directives.  We ended up using pkg-config and a
> custom #define.

I didn't mean to make it sound that way (I guess I kind of did as far
as gnome modules are concerned, but I didn't mean that there were no
problems whatsoever--I specifically remembered you mentioning the
problem on both Gtk2-Perl and d-d-l and I'm sure that there had to
have been others affected as well).  In fact, I don't even know why
that happened--it predated my first contribution to the module.  It's
entirely possible that Anders thought libwnck had branched (since it
tends to be quite a while before it does so), and those doing the
releases didn't catch the change.

> I'm not complaining, though.  I just wanted to point out that the 2.6
> change did cause problems.

Yeah, I think we should definitely avoid a repeat.  Of both that
problem and the new one causing Bill some stress.  Sorry for the pain
to you both.