Re: Integrated CD ripping/playing (instead of goobox/sound juicer)

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:44, Karel Demeyer wrote:
> I read that gnome 2.10 will probably include a CD-ripping/playing
> utility.  I think such a program should not be _in_ the gnome packages,
> though, I'd like those functionalities in gnome, but more integrated.
> I'd like to be able to see the tracks on an audio CD in nautilus when I
> insert one.

I read such an idea on dotKDE as well at some point. Some dude wrote an
extension that lets you rip CDs like that by typing the URI
cd-ripper-ogg:// or cd-ripper-flac:// or so.

Now, seriously, from a user point of view. Do you expect the user to
know that Nautilus is your CD player or ripper by typing some obscure
URI? That's not what GNOME wants, imo... Sure, nautilus could pop up
automagically (g-v-m!), but that only works when the CD is not yet in
the drive. I see a CD ripper in the same category as a video capture
application or a digital camera picture retrieval tool. Nautilus does
neither of them, with good reasons. Nautilus is too limited in what it
can know or do, it's far out of scope for a file manager (imo). What
*would* be cool is to have a CD player with a player-like interface,
which not only has a rip interface, but also supports DnD to nautilus as
an alternative way of clicking 'rip now'.

I'm keeping out of the ripper vs. player discussion because I really
just want gnome-cd to die and don't care how. ;).

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>