Re: Integrated CD ripping/playing (instead of goobox/sound juicer)

Op ma, 17-01-2005 te 16:05 +0100, schreef Ronald S. Bultje:
> On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:44, Karel Demeyer wrote:
> > I read that gnome 2.10 will probably include a CD-ripping/playing
> > utility.  I think such a program should not be _in_ the gnome packages,
> > though, I'd like those functionalities in gnome, but more integrated.
> > I'd like to be able to see the tracks on an audio CD in nautilus when I
> > insert one.
>
> I read such an idea on dotKDE as well at some point. Some dude wrote an
> extension that lets you rip CDs like that by typing the URI
> cd-ripper-ogg:// or cd-ripper-flac:// or so.
>
> Now, seriously, from a user point of view. Do you expect the user to
> know that Nautilus is your CD player or ripper by typing some obscure
> URI?
Absolutely not! :)
> That's not what GNOME wants, imo... Sure, nautilus could pop up
> automagically (g-v-m!), but that only works when the CD is not yet in
> the drive.
I think you understood me wrong ;).
What I wanted is that you could rip CD's by dragging the icons "from the
CD".  I mean, I go to "Computer:///" (-> there's an icon for it default,
don't need the URI typing), click the CD drive where my CD is in, it
opens a CD as if it where a data CD, it shows me the icons and I can
drag 'm.  MS Windows shows the icons too (though you can't do anything
with it which makes it unusefull).
You see what I mean ?
> I see a CD ripper in the same category as a video capture
> application or a digital camera picture retrieval tool. Nautilus does
> neither of them, with good reasons. Nautilus is too limited in what it
> can know or do, it's far out of scope for a file manager (imo). What
> *would* be cool is to have a CD player with a player-like interface,
> which not only has a rip interface, but also supports DnD to nautilus as
> an alternative way of clicking 'rip now'.
Well, I hope the CD-player will also be capable of doing this(, using
the same code as the way it's done in nautilus).
I really think this is a nice idea and gnome-users expect such features,
it's easy, you need no knowledge about ripping tools etc.
If I used a computer for the first time and I wanted to "copy music form
a CD to my hard drive", I'm not gonna pop in the CD, hoping a player app
will come up and search for a "rip now" button (as I don't know what it
means).  I woyuldbe like "there's music on my disc, I open my disc with
my computer the way I open a data disc, I drag the files to my desktop,
and done."
I can be wrong, but I hope you'll see what I mean.

> I'm keeping out of the ripper vs. player discussion because I really
> just want gnome-cd to die and don't care how. ;).

      * Ronald