Re: Integrated CD ripping/playing (instead of goobox/sound juicer)

Op ma, 17-01-2005 te 17:07 +0000, schreef Alan Horkan:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:05:23 +0100
> > From: Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>
> > To: Karel Demeyer <kmdemeye vub ac be>
> > Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> > Subject: Re: Integrated CD ripping/playing (instead of goobox/sound
> >     juicer)
> >
> > On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:44, Karel Demeyer wrote:
> > > I read that gnome 2.10 will probably include a CD-ripping/playing
> > > utility.  I think such a program should not be _in_ the gnome packages,
> > > though, I'd like those functionalities in gnome, but more integrated.
> > > I'd like to be able to see the tracks on an audio CD in nautilus when I
> > > insert one.
> >
> > I read such an idea on dotKDE as well at some point. Some dude wrote an
> > extension that lets you rip CDs like that by typing the URI
> > cd-ripper-ogg:// or cd-ripper-flac:// or so.
>
> > Now, seriously, from a user point of view. Do you expect the user to
> > know that Nautilus is your CD player or ripper by typing some obscure
> > URI?
>
> That is an ugly implementation detail and horrible when it comes to
> discovery but I wouldn't completely reject the underlying concept,
> I think the pricipal of it isn't that bad.
>
> What is Nautilus going to show when you view an Audio CD?
> Presumably a list of .cda files which isn't very useful.
>
> I recall reading that on BeOS if you tried to copy a .cda file it would
> transparently give you a WAV file.
>
> Rather than creating yet another evil URI I would hope that there could be
> some way this could be handled almost transparently so that to the user it
> appears as if they are copying files directly off the Audio CD much as
> they would do any other file off any other medium?  Wouldn't being able to
> drag and drop a file from the CD to your desktop be the easiest way to go?
> (This wouldn't preclude a tool like Sound Juicer for ripping whole disks
> en masse and streamling the whole process anymore than Browser mode
> Nautilus precludes Spatial Nautilus.)
That's just what I try to say :D, no new URI, just open the CD like a
data CD and drag the files to rip 'm (what the user sees/thinks)
> > can know or do, it's far out of scope for a file manager (imo). What
> > *would* be cool is to have a CD player with a player-like interface,
> > which not only has a rip interface, but also supports DnD to nautilus as
> > an alternative way of clicking 'rip now'.
>
> It would definately be cool to be able to drag from a playlist to the
> desktop and be prompted to rip/extract.
>
> > I'm keeping out of the ripper vs. player discussion because I really
> > just want gnome-cd to die and don't care how. ;).
>
> I dont understand this urge to kill off gnome-cd.  I actually quite like
> the basic layout (does one thing well) and find programs like Rythmbox a
> bit cluttered when I just want to play a CD.  I do have the CD case
> infront of me which usually has the information I need but dont always
> have an active internet connection and want or need detailed infromation
> about the CD.  To be honest I probably use the CD player only because I
> want slightly more functionality that is available from the hardware CD
> player built in to the drive itself.
>
> By all means add Sound Juicer or some other CD ripping functionality but I
> don't get why it necessitates killing off the straighforward CD Player
> that plays CDs.
It would be stupid to have 2 apps that only are there to play cd's.
This sounds very KDE'ish to me.  I think an app for gnome (eventually in
gnome) to play/rip is a good thing, but iutwould be cool to also be able
to rip from nautilus (like be able to burn from nautilus and also have a
specialized burn app) and play by clicking on a file in nautilus and it
opens totem (or whatever, the CD app ...)

friendly greeting,

Karel Demeyer