Re: Integrated CD ripping/playing (instead of goobox/sound juicer)

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 16:05 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:44 +0100, Karel Demeyer wrote:
> > I'd like to be able to see the tracks on an audio CD in nautilus when I
> > insert one.  Those should be named like "Track O1" or the name of the
> > songif it's found with CDDB.
>
> I have a patch for Sound Juicer which does exactly this.  It registers
> an audiocd:/// method which shows you the contents of the CD in the
> drive and looks up the titles in MusicBrainz.  Dragging and dropping the
> files from audiocd:/// to a normal location results in the files being
> ripped and encoded.  Just what you want, right?
>
> Problems:
> 1) No obvious way to configure what encoder is used
> 2) No easy way to select which CD drive is used (using
> audiocd:///dev/hdc is one solution)
> 3) No obvious way to configure what filename format (i.e. "[track] -
> [title].ogg") is used.
> 4) No directory structure is generated automatically.  I keep my music
> in ~/Music/[Artist]/[Album]/[Track]-[Title].ogg, and with this I have to
> manually create the intermediate folders
>
> I'm tempted to say that the more complete integration of SJ into
> Rhythmbox[1] as the ripping part of an Audio CD source is a good
> solution, a la iTunes.

Yeah, I agree. In my opinion, if you click on a audio CD in Nautilus in
Computer it should bring up whatever UI we think is good for playing
CDs. From this UI we want a one-click operation to launch a rip window
and another click to start ripping.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a benighted bohemian vagrant whom everyone believes is mad. She's a
psychotic bisexual detective operating on the wrong side of the law. They
fight crime!