Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 09:27 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Alexander Larsson">
>
> > I don't understand what integrating gnome-user-share with nautilus-send-to
> > means exactly, or how it would change gnome-user-share.
> >
> > I know some people wanted to drop the gnome-user-share directory model
> > totally in favour of a "send file to this person/machine" model. But that
> > is totally blue-sky, since we have no real backend for that (apart from
> > email/im), and that models has issues of its own.
>
> We do have a start, however: nautilus-sendto.

Yes. This is a very nice app that has lots of uses. Its not quite the
same as gnome-user-share though. One is a server-side thing, one is a
client side app. We can very well ship both. nautilus-sendto could even
support sending to some machines gnome-user-share share. There is no
problem with that.

> > I doubt the situation will be different wrt gnome-user-share in gnome 2.12
> > (except that we might have a solution to the folder translation issue), so
> > I don't see what punting it for now gives us (unless its especially due to
> > the translation issue). Either its a model Gnome thinks is right, or its
> > not.
>
> I feel, even though I think g-u-s is enormously clever and well done, that
> the send/receive workflow suggestion that came up during that discussion
> (care of Alan) is the right model, and there was much agreement with it when
> it came up.

I'm personally not really sure that is the best model, and I'm not sure
there is a consensus on that.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a scrappy misogynist gentleman spy with a passion for fast cars. She's a
green-fingered kleptomaniac safe cracker with a knack for trouble. They fight
crime!