Re: Removal of wireless-applets from gnome-applets?

Have you tried netapplet (and netdaemon?)

a.

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 18:01 -0500, Pat Suwalski wrote:
Hello,

As of recent releases of gnome-applets, the wireless applet has been
removed.

I very much used and liked the wireless-applet and I'm curious if
there's some sort of module removal policy with these things. For
example, does an applet need to cover all the functionality of an old
applet before getting removed? If there were an applet that behaved
pretty much the same way as the old one, I would be inclined to switch
to it.

However, the immediate replacement, netstatus, does not do everything as
well as the w-a. For example, it does not seem to be able to show my
signal strength as a percentage, does not tell me how strong my signal
is via a colour cue, and has very annoying (distracting) flashing
monitors consuming valuable applet space. It seems to take away
everything that made wireless-applet better than all the others.

The main reason I was given for this change is that wireless-applet's
code is messy. To me, the copy in CVS looks short and simple. I also
cannot imagine it being a big deal to maintain.

So, is there any reason why it should be removed before a proper
replacement is available? I cannot see netstatus gaining all this
missing functionality within the timeframe of the next release. I would
love to see w-a in Gnome 2.10.

--Pat